National Eyes on Plevin & Gallucci in Bellwether Opioids Trial
Opening arguments are set to begin October 4 in the bellwether lawsuit against four pharmacy companies charged with allowing millions of opioid pills to be distributed in Ohio counties.
The case is being tried in U.S. District Court in Cleveland before Judge Dan Polster. Frank L. Gallucci III, principal of Plevin & Gallucci, is among the trial team representing Lake and Trumbull counties in the suit against CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, and Giant Eagle.
This is the nation’s first trial attempting to hold pharmacies responsible for their role in the opioid crisis that has resulted in thousands of deaths and an addiction crisis that has heavily impacted Ohio.
Cuyahoga and Summit counties reached more than $325 million in settlements with major drug manufacturers and distributors two years ago. Plevin & Gallucci was among the law firms representing Cuyahoga and Summit counties in this settlement.
Frank Gallucci has been interviewed by national and local media throughout the case. Here are recent media reports on the trial. Watch this space for regular updates.
“The judgment today against Walmart, Walgreens and CVS represents the overdue reckoning for their complicity in creating a public nuisance,” the plaintiffs’ lawyers said in a joint statement.Reuters
Information and updates about this case have been reported by the media in the following articles and publications:
- 11/23/21: 3 of America’s biggest pharmacy chains have been found liable for the opioid crisis – NPR
- 11/23/21: Walgreens, CVS, and Walmart fuelled opioid crisis, Ohio jury finds – BBC
- 11/23/21: CVS, Walgreens and Walmart are responsible for flooding Ohio counties with pain pills, jury says – Washington Post
- 11/23/21: U.S. jury says CVS, other pharmacy chains helped fuel opioid epidemic – Reuters
- 11/23/21: Federal jury finds 3 major pharmacies oversupplied opioids in Lake, Trumbull counties – Cleveland.com
- 11/15/21: Lax Pharmacies Fed Opioid Crisis, Jury Told As Trial Ends – Law360
- 11/11/21: Opioid trial jurors ask witnesses questions as judiciary reviews practice – Reuters
- 10/29/21: Pharmacy chain operator Giant Eagle settles Ohio opioid lawsuits mid-trial – Reuters
- 10/06/21: Walgreens, Purdue ‘Colluded’ To Spread Opioids, Jury Hears – Law360
- 10/04/21: Trial against pharmacy chains’ opioid sales set to begin – Washington Post
- 10/03/21: Major pharmacies face first federal trial over role in nation’s opioid crisis – Washington Post
- 10/02/21: Pharmacies face 1st trial over role in opioid crisis – AP
- 10/02/21: Even Walmart Deserves a Trial – Wall Street Journal
- 09/29/21: 7 Key Details As Pharmacy Giants Head To 1st Opioid Trial – Law360
- 08/26/21: Rite Aid settles bellwether opioid case with Ohio counties – Reuters
- 08/31/21: Rite Aid settles with Lake, Trumbull counties in federal opioid litigation – Cleveland.com
The following posts have been written by the firm addressing the ongoing opioid trial: